Cinnamon Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

****I don't know what happened to my pictures! I'm going to leave this blog post up, for the directions....meanwhile, I'm hunting down my pictures in the blogosphere picture graveyard...



Ever wondered how to make cinnamon applesauce Christmas ornaments? 
Here's the scoop!
They are super easy and will make your house smell yummy. 
Be careful, though, you may end up wanting to bake an apple pie or something afterward ;)

THESE ARE ORNAMENTS AND ARE NOT MEANT TO BE EATEN!!

This is all you need:
3/4 cup applesauce
 4.12 oz bottle of cinnamon
***you do NOT need expensive cinnamon. Any cinnamon will do. I just happened to shop for mine the day before Thanksgiving....imagine the sugar and spice aisle the day before Thanksgiving. Yeah, I grabbed the first large jar I could find. I actually got a very large jar because I made two batches.





Put 3/4 cup of applesauce in a bowl




Stir in your jar of cinnamon




Use your hands to knead and mix well. This is about the only way to get all the cinnamon mixed in.
If the dough is a little dry, add a tsp of applesauce - more if you need it, but add in small amounts. If it's a little wet, add a little more cinnamon. The "dough" consistency should be about like bread dough. You will get a little on your hands, but for the most part it should stay stuck together.




Place a piece of plastic wrap on your counter and put about 1/4 of your dough on it. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap.



Roll out to about 1/4" to 1/3" thick with a rolling pin. The plastic keeps it from sticking to your rolling pin and counter. The thicker your ornament, the longer it will take to dry.



Use cookie cutters to cut desired shapes.



Yes, you can reuse your dough from your first cut. Just put your next ball of dough with it and squish it together. Just like cookies!



Place your ornaments on a piece of plastic wrap to dry. Use a straw (or whatever you've got handy) to cut a hole in each ornament so you can hang it on your tree. Otherwise, all you've got is a bunch of smelly good things to sit around. 



Allow your ornaments to completely dry. This can take one to two days. I made mine on Sunday evening so that I can decorate the tree Tuesday afternoon. Turn ornaments 2 or 3 times a day so they dry thoroughly.
**you can also bake your ornaments in a 200 degree oven for about 2 1/2 hours - be sure and turn them a few times.


That's it! Easy peasy and your kids can help!
Note that I save my dough that I cut out with my straw. My tree is primitive and they make wonderful eyes and buttons for my salt dough snowmen.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments