Garlic & Cilantro Mashed Cauliflower

I've been thinking about trying mashed cauliflower for a while now, but just hadn't figured out how I wanted to "fix" it. After all, what could possibly be good about cauliflower steamed and mashed with a blender. Since I can't have dairy, no milk or butter could "fix" it, right. 
Wrong!

Try this, I think you'll like it!

Take a fresh head of cauliflower and remove the green "plant" part that is stuck to the bottom. You know the part I mean.
Then rinse in cold water.



I cut my cauliflower head in half. It's just me and Bossman, so we didn't need the whole head. The other part can be used for dipping.



Break the little florets away from the head and put in a pan. Cover with water and place on the stove to boil/steam. Keep a lid on the pan to allow the steam to make your florets tender.



When your florets are tender, put the florets in a colander and allow the water to drain. This is not going to be as "solid" as mashed potatoes, so allow it to drain as much water off as possible.

Then I put a couple tsp of cilantro leaves, a couple teaspoons of garlic salt and about a tbsp of Earth Balance dairy free, soy free buttery spread. **It looks like butter and acts like butter, so in my house, it's butter.



Use a mixer or food processor and "mash" the cauliflower.

That's it! Isn't this easy?

I think I liked this BETTER than mashed potatoes. The taste and texture actually very closely resemble mashed potatoes. Go ahead, try it!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments