Mom's Meatloaf

****I don't know what happened to my pictures! I'm going to leave this blog post up, for the directions....meanwhile, I'm hunting down my pictures in the blogosphere picture graveyard...



This was my mom's recipe and I've always stuck to it. It is delicious! 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Start with 1 - 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef in a bowl. I mix with my hands, so I always let the ground beef warm up for a little bit at room temperature first.



This recipe calls for tomato JUICE. I buy the little 6 pack of juices, which can be stored forever, and use 1 1/2-ish cans. 



Add 1 cup of tomato juice to your ground beef. 



Add 1 1/4 cups rolled oats - quick or regular, doesn't really matter. If you are on a gluten free diet, make sure and get gluten free oats. **oats are naturally gluten free, however, they are easily cross contaminated since they are processed right along side wheat.
Beat one egg with a fork and add it to your ground beef mixture.



Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper - or just throw some in there. **I usually add 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, but I forgot the onion at the store. I know, it's a sad day.



Mix! I use my hands to mix and squish the ground beef around all of the other ingredients. This is why I let the ground beef warm up just a little bit.



Press into a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. I use a small rectangular casserole instead of a loaf pan. It takes forever for meatloaf in a loaf pan to get done in the middle.



I put a small amount of the tomato juice on top and spread it around. Bake in 350 degree oven for an hour to an hour and a half. Mine was done in just a little over an hour, with the more shallow pan.



Wah-Lah!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments