Whole Wheat Poptarts

Here's a super easy recipe that I found on Heavenly Homemaker's for homemade whole wheat poptarts. No matter how healthy we try to be there's certain foods that we just want every now and then and poptarts are one of those foods. Admit it, you have some in your cabinet, don't you?? 

Is there anything easier than a poptart? You don't even really have to pop them in the toaster if you don't have time or just simply don't want to.

In this post, I'm going to show you step by step how I made mine. I'm also going to show you where I kinda, sorta messed up :)

Once again, I started with my whole wheat flour I got from the Farmer's Market last summer. 








Put 3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flower and 1 tsp of salt in a mixing bowl and mix with a fork.








Add 1 cup of melted butter.  (that means you have to nuke it) I did use my Smart Balance Light spread, but next time I'm going to use actual butter or margarine. My poptarts didn't have the flaky "pastry" crust that I expected. They were a little thick and firm and that's probably due to not using butter or margarine. I'll try it again and let you know if it helps.









Add 1 cup of plain yogurt. I used Dannon All Natural plain yogurt.









Mix all of your ingredients with a fork until it looks like this: 








Put some flour out on your counter like this:








Put your dough on your floured surface and knead several times.








Take a rolling pin and roll out your dough. It has to be pretty thin - Heavenly Homemakers says this recipe will make 15-20 poptarts; I only got 12 out of mine and I can tell that some of mine weren't near thin enough.













Take a knife and cut your dough into "poptart size" squares.








For filling I used some strawberry preserves and blackberry jam. You can use any flavor you desire. This is your chance to be creative!









Put about 1 tsp of jam or preserves or whatever you choose to use on the center of every other square and spread it out a little. 









After you've put some "filling" on every other square - actually, that's kind of a rectangle isn't it? - put a plain square on top to make your poptart.









Take a fork and press the outer edges of the poptart together.








Place your poptarts on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Psssst.....I did not put anything on the outside of my poptarts, but I think next time, I will brush with melted butter and sprinkle some sugar or a sugar/cinnamon mixture on them.






I did have a problem with my "filling" running out, so next time I may brush the edges with egg white and then seal? Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

That's it! While making these I thought of several other "fillings" I would like to try with these. Everything from breakfast sandwiches to hot pockets to mini pies. Any other ideas out there? I would love to hear them!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments