Sweet Potato Fries

****I don't know what happened to my pictures! I'm going to leave this blog post up, for the directions....meanwhile, I'm hunting down my pictures in the blogosphere picture graveyard...


Well, I have to say, I've done easier things in my life, but I'm not sure they were quite as rewarding. I've looked long and hard for a good sweet potato fry recipe and I've finally figured it out. If you've ever tried to make sweet potato fries, you know that you can't just slice them and throw them in the oven like regular potatoes and have them come out soft but firm. THIS is how you do it.

Start with three or four sweet potatoes. I used four and it made more than enough for three adults and one kinda, sorta picky toddler. First thing to do is peel and wash them. If you prefer to leave the peelings on, feel free to do so, just scrub them good.







Take a very sharp knife (trust me, it needs to be sharp - if your knives are all dull, just stop reading right now and go buy yourself a new knife) and slice each sweet potato into "fry size" strips.







Put all of your raw sweet potato fries in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir the fries around with your hands, cover with the paper towel and microwave an additional 2 minutes.







Next, leave the paper towel on the bowl and let the whole thing "rest" for 5 full minutes.
Shhhh, my 'taters are resting.







While your 'taters are resting, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.







If you're like me and don't have a spice grinder, just place your spice mixture in a baggie and beat it with a rolling pin or something to crush the spices. Don't ya just love these dishes where you get to beat something?







Beat three egg whites with a whisk until they get frothy.







Dump your beat up spices into your frothy egg whites and mix with a wire whisk.







When your 'taters are done resting, mix them (a handful at a time) in your frothy egg white beaten spice mixture to coat the 'taters.







If you have parchment paper, it's best to line a cookie sheet with it and then rub olive oil on top of the parchment paper. If you don't, just coat the cookie sheet with olive oil (but it's going to be a mess when you're done). Place your coated sweet potatoes in a single layer on the cookie sheet.







Bake for 10 minutes in a 450 degree oven. They will look like this:






After 10 minutes, turn the sweet potatoes over with a spatula. Put back in the oven for another 15 minutes. They will look like this:







Yummy! So worth the effort! I served with this Tuna Melt recipe and it was delicious.







This is not even close to healthy, but Bossman took the left over sweet potato fries and covered them with shredded cheddar cheese, melted it in the microwave and added a splash of paprika. He said it was delicious! Feel free to try other alternatives and let me know how it turns out.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments