Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos

This recipe was a bit more involved than I had planned, but was super yummy. A little prep ahead of time would make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't have a whole lot of sense when it came to pre-prep ;)

Start with about 4 large sweet potatoes. Put them in boiling water to soften, like you would for making yams at Thanksgiving.






Open about 3 cans of black beans and drain them.






I like to take the lid off and then push it down in the can, turn it upside down, drain the liquid out.






Take a potato masher and mash the black beans until they are fairly smooth.






Chop up a small onion.






Put a couple teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet. I used a large cast iron skillet.




Saute your onion and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (or 4 cloves of garlic minced) in your skillet of olive oil.




Saute your onion and garlic until the onions are soft and it looks like this.






Put your mashed up black beans in your skillet with your onion and garlic. Heat until warmed through.




While your beans are heating. Take your sweet potatoes out of their jackets and mash them until smooth with your potato masher.




Gather soy sauce, mustard, cumin and chili powder. Yes, I realize that is curry powder in the picture. I did add a little curry powder in mine, too. **Even though I put soy sauce in this time, I don't know that I would add it again. Here's your chance to go a little crazy - just put whatever you want in there ;)





Remove your beans from the heat and add your spices. I added 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 4 teaspoons mustard and a dash of curry powder. 





Grab some burrito size flour tortillas. I did use 98% fat free flour tortillas.






Warm your flour tortillas in the microwave for a minute or so. Then lay them out one at a time on a cookie sheet.





Add a spoonful of your black bean mixture to the center of a flour tortilla.






Add a spoonful of your mashed sweet potatoes.






Top with some shredded cheddar cheese.





Fold burrito style - turn up the bottom and then both sides - secure with a toothpick.





Arrange your burritos on your cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees.






This is how they come out of the oven. These were so yummy!



This recipe made 14 large burritos. I was able to eat ONE and I was full. Bossman got two down and was full. They do freeze very well, so they are great to prepare ahead of time and have for lunches and those nights when you don't feel like cooking.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments