Egg Sandwich with Pastrami & Swiss

This is an excellent morning meal. Low in calories and healthy! (it's also very easy to make :)

I got this recipe from my new Cook This, Not That! Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals from Amazon.

This makes four sandwiches at around 325 calories each - give or take a little. Note: the recipe called for 6 eggs, but I only used 5 and very easily could have used 4 (more about that in the post). I also bought a package of ultra thin pastrami by Hillshire Farms. It says it has 4 servings for the entire package and a serving has 60 calories. I only used 4 thin slices of pastrami (one for each sandwich) and I still have at least 3/4 of the pastrami in the package if not more. Given that, I could easily count only 1 serving of pastrami for the entire breakfast (all 4 sandwiches) giving me only 15 calories of pastrami for each sandwich. So, I'm guessing that my sandwiches were slightly less than 325 calories each - calculated on my own, I'm getting 285 calories per sandwich.

Here are my calculations:

  • Thomas Multri Grain Light English Muffins - 100 calories each
  • Pastrami - 15 calories per slice (actually slightly less) - 1 slice per sandwich
  • Egglands Best Large eggs - 80 calories each - used 5 eggs divided on 4 sandwiches - 100 calories per sandwich (this could easily be cut to 1 egg per sandwich = 80 calories)
  • Sargents Swiss cheese - 70 calories per slice.
And, LOOK at all that protien! Eggs, pastrami and cheese all in one sandwich. *A breakfast high in protein tends to stay with you longer so you don't feel hungry 33.2 seconds after you eat. Protein is also considered a "blood sugar stabilizer" meaning it makes your blood sugar more stable so that it doesn't spike or fall too low.

I know, I know, get on with it already!

This is what you do - 

Melt 1/2 tbsp of butter in a skillet (I use cast iron and porcelain coated skillets)


Place your pastrami slices in the melted butter and saute for 2 or 3 minutes on medium heat. They will shrivel slightly, but won't burn or get hard.


Mix 5 eggs and 2 Tbsp milk in a bowl and whisk for a minute. **here's where I would do something different and just make one egg per sandwich (no milk) - whisk one egg and fry in a baby skillet like you were making an egg sandwich. As it is in this recipe (and how I did it this morning, we basically had scrambled eggs falling out of our sandwiches while we ate). Also, keep in mind, one egg per sandwich lowers the calorie count by 20 ;)


Pour the egg mixture into the skillet with the pastrami and continue to heat, stirring often so that eggs don't stick to the bottom of the pan. While you're doing this, lightly toast your english muffins (I used Thomas Multi Grain Light). Don't toast too long or your english muffin will get hard.


Your egg and pastrami mixture will look like this when it's about done. Again, next time I'm just making egg sandwiches and putting the pastrami and cheese on top.

Place a slice of swiss cheese on the bottom half of your english muffin and top with your egg/pastrami mixture - place the top half of your english muffin on top and wah-lah!


This is the final product. Yummy! Again, as I fixed them, 285 calories each, but you can easily cut it down to 265 calories each. So, even a big ol' burly biker who might want two of these is only getting 530 calories - for a Sunday brunch that's not bad at all.





Comments