Breakfast Friatta

This is OMG good! I made it yesterday for breakfast today and tomorrow. It's very filling and, again, full of protein to start your day. At about 325 calories a serving (and the servings are good size), it's a great way to start your day. It keeps very well in the refrigerator, so you can make it the night before and just reheat for breakfast the next day.

I got this one of of my new Cook This, Not That! Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals from Amazon, too!

Start by heating your broiler in your oven on low broil.


Start by chopping up some roasted red peppers. I found them in the pickle section at Walmart (if you're like me and aren't sure what a roasted red pepper even is - yeah, I know, I'm a little bit country and there are just some things I haven't ever had the need to use before). I bought one jar and chopped about 1/4 of the jar.





Pour about a Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet - I prefer a cast iron skillet. Keep in mind that the skillet needs to go in the oven also, so don't use something with a plastic handle!





The recipe calls for one clove of garlic minced. Since I don't like to have to mince a clove of garlic. I used this. There are instructions on the bottle for how much to use in place of an actual clove of garlic. I used a little more than the recipe called for. It's my friatta so I can do what I want!





Saute your roasted red peppers and your garlic in the olive oil for about a minute. You'll start smelling the garlic when it's about done.





The recipe calls for 4 cups of arugula - my store didn't have that, so I substituted some baby leaf spinach. I tore it up a little bit, too. Just throw that in the pan with the peppers and garlic and saute for another couple minutes till the spinach/arugula starts to look wilted.





Add about 4 slices of chopped up ham. I used just Oscar Meyer cooked ham for the low fat content. Feel free to use any ham (recipe suggests prosciutto - but my store didn't have any. Maybe I should try to find another store?) Cook this for just a few minutes while you whisk 8 eggs up to add to it.





After you've whisked 8 eggs, add some salt and pepper to them. Then pout it into the pan with the rest of the ingredients. Stir it up, but then leave it alone. You want the eggs to form a kind of base and "set" up a little.







When the eggs have started to "set", add about 1/2 cup of feta cheese sprinkled on the top. You can use gouda, ricotta, goat cheese, etc. Let that cook for about 5-6 more minutes until most of the egg is cooked.

Place the whole pan in the oven and let the top brown a little and finish cooking. This takes about 3-4 minutes.





Doesn't that look good?!?! Yummy! This is when it came out of the oven. Smells so good. I almost couldn't wait until the next morning to at least try it. But, alas, I had to wait. Sigh.





One more shot of the friatta. Feel free to add whatever ingredients you have on hand. By the way this is 4 servings - so just cut it in 1/4's and that's it. I love when a recipe serving is enough to actually fill your tummy.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments