Grilled Chicken & Pineapple Quesadillas

Rave reviews on this one and very filling! Yay me! Sorry. Just glad everybody liked them.


Start with some skinless boneless chicken breasts. I used a package of 3 to make 4 good size quesadillas. Put a chicken breast inside a gallon ziplock bag. No sense in getting chicken "stuff" all over your cutting board.


Take your big meat tenderizer mallet thing and beat the pulp out of your chicken breast. You want it flat and spread out.


Since beating with a mallet isn't quite enough, I like to take a heavy can from the cabinet and beat it some more. Remember - thin, thin, thin. It takes less time to grill and you don't want a fat ol' piece of chicken to have to bite through.


This is what you want your chicken to look like when you're through beating it to death. Ready for grillin'...


While the grill is preheating, take two fresh avocados and peel and slice them. Keep in mind there's a seed inside, so slice at an angle to curve around it.


Here's the avocado peeled and sliced. I actually ended up cutting my avocado up in smaller pieces and strips as I prepped the tortilla shells.


Put some salt and pepper on your chicken and throw it on the grill. Don't mess with it right away so the flavor gets seared in.


Brush your favorite barbecue sauce on the chicken while it's grilling. You can also add some spice if you like it. I just did the barbecue sauce since I was feeing four people and wasn't sure who liked spicy and who didn't.


Now it's time to break out the griddle and the tortilla shells. I use whole wheat tortilla shells. Large burrito size works well.


Lightly coat your griddle with butter. I use Smart Balance Lite with Olive Oil. If you're gonna use some butter, might as well make it as healthy as butter can get. I have a large griddle so I can put two tortillas on at once. Lightly brown both sides. If you don't have a griddle a skillet will work as well. I'm kind of partial to my griddle and use it often. I'm not sure why. Does that make me a weirdo? 


When the chicken gets done (doesn't that look good?!) put it off to the side and throw your pineapple on the grill. It's always better to use fresh pineapple, but I used canned rings because they are a lot less work and well, they're kinda cute. Dontcha think?


When your pineapple is done (doesn't take very long) you want to take it and your chicken off the grill. Take a sharp knife and slice the chicken in thin strips.


We're getting close! Time to build your quesadilla. Take a tortilla shell and put it on your griddle. Put a handful of monterey jack cheese as a base. Throw on some chicken strips, followed by some grilled pineapples, jalapenos and avocado. Put another handful of monterey jack cheese on top and cover with another tortilla shell. You need cheese on the top and bottom so it melts and holds it all together.


Leave your quesadilla on the griddle long enough to melt the bottom cheese. Then flip it and let the top cheese melt. You'll have to hold it when you flip it since the top cheese and ingredients will be "loose".

That's it! These were so yummy! Bossman loved them - he said that there was a different flavor in every bite. This is true, sometimes you get a taste of pineapple, sometimes avocado, sometimes jalapeno - and sometimes a combination of any of them.

Alyssa said they were "wonderful" and "awesome" and "I guess I'm going to have to start eating healthy - this is really good!"

Not sure what Dillon said. He just ate....it....all.

About the only "unhealthy" thing on these is the amount of cheese. However, eating cheese occasionally isn't at all bad for you. The avocados and pineapples kind of offset the cheese. Dontcha think?














Comments