Black Bean and Artichoke Burritos

Here's a healthy (and easy, quick, simple...you get the picture) meal. I work six days a week and don't get off until 5:30 - 6:00 in the evening and don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen when I get home. Bossman and I work together so it's not like he's home pacing the floor and gnawing on cardboard waiting for me to cook supper. We call it supper here in the Ozarks. But, he is hungry and doesn't want to wait for a gourmet meal.

These burritos have no meat. Yay vegans! They have no refried beans full of lard and other creamy (un) goodness either. And did I mention that they're easy.

You'll need the following:
1 15 oz can black beans
1 13 "ish" oz can artichoke hearts
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
Shredded cheddar cheese
1 tomato
Burrito size tortilla shells


Open your black beans and pour 'em in a skillet. Bring them to a boil. Turn heat down so they are at a "hard simmer" - kind of simmering with a slight boil. You want them to thicken to resemble refried beans. Minus the lard.


Slice the onion. Crush the garlic cloves. Open the artichoke hearts. If they are whole, slice them. Put the onion, garlic and artichoke in some butter to saute. You want the onions and artichoke hearts to brown a little.

While your beans and onion/artichoke hearts/garlic are cooking you want to slice up that 'mater. I didn't take a picture of the 'mater slicing. I figured you've sliced enough of those in your life.


This is what you want your beans to look like when they're getting close to done.


This is what you want your onions, artichoke hearts and garlic to look like when they're about done.

At this point throw a couple burrito tortilla shells in the microwave to heat them. If you're feeling saucy, you can brown them in a skillet with some butter. If you just want to eat, toss them in the microwave.


Put a burrito tortilla shell on a plate and place some beans in the center. The amount I'm using in these pictures will make a really overstuffed "manly" burrito.



Throw some of your onion, garlic, artichoke heart mixture on there. Doesn't that look good?


Throw some cheese on there, too. This is Bossman's burrito so there's plenty of cheese. Me, being lactose intolerant and dairy allergic, I try to do without cheese. Tonight, I did have a smidgen of cheese on my burrito just because it looked so good. If I don't eat a lot of dairy, the lactose intolerance is tolerable. The allergy is another story. I sneezed for a solid 30 minutes and my sinuses were congested. Knowing this would happen, I ate some anyway. I'm kind of silly like that sometimes.


Throw some of your sliced 'maters on there and roll it up burrito style. Yummy. Yummy.

This recipe made 3 very generously, overstuffed "manly" burritos. I had to put a toothpick on top to keep them together. It would be easy to stretch it to 5 or 6 burritos if you made them normal sized. If you need more than that just double the recipe.

Bossman comments: After taking a few bites he asked, "do these have meat on them?" Nuh-uh. "Wow, I really like the texture. I thought you had meat in these. You can quote me on your blog on that." 

And.

"Thanks Babydoll. Those were really good. Thank you for letting me participate in your blog experiments."

Guess they were a hit!









Comments